Tuesday, January 12, 2010

beaded lariat necklaces


I have a bead fetish. I could spend hours shopping for beads. When I go to antique malls and thrift stores I always scope out old jewelry that can be taken apart for the beads. At craft stores I head straight for the clearance bead section, and make my way to the rainbow of all the other beads. I have lots. Too many. I'm a hoarder. Thankfully, one of my favorite projects uses lots of these beads up. Lariat necklaces.




They are easy to make, and look great without using any kind of logic or pattern. My favorite parts of jewelry making, you see, are picking out and pairing colors, and figuring out how to use my favorite beads as focal pieces. I am NOT a fan of math, and prefer projects that require minimal measuring, planning, patterns, etc. There are plenty of tutorials out there for lariat necklaces. This one and This one are basically how I make mine.



Flipping through Etsy is a great source of inspiration for me. Searching for lariat necklaces has made me want to make them out of chain, out of leather, out of fabric. So many Pretty possibilities. Here are some that caught my eye:

1 comment: